- Birthplace of Virginia Katherine McMath 
 Independence, Missouri -

The Ginger House Museum

​~ TIMELINE ~


1906

This working-class Craftsman Bungalow was first constructed


1911

Lela Rogers rented this house and Ginger Rogers was born in the home and lived here with her mother for the first several years of her life.


​1964

The first Ginger Rogers Day was held in 1964, and was initiated by President Harry Truman. 


1994
​The home was added to the historic register in Independence, Missouri on Ginger's birthday July 16. 



100 W. Moore Street, Independence, MO

Located a few blocks from the Harry S Truman Library and Museum
Designated as an Historic Landmark by the City of Independence in 1994

We've repaired the structural issues with the house and restored the interior to as close to the original time period as possible, trying to keep this example of a Craftsman Bungalow intact. All of the woodwork inside and out is original, as are the windows, most of the doors and door fixtures, the claw-foot tub, and corner bathroom sink. Everything else was replaced with period appropriate materials. What is not visible is all new electrical wiring and plumbing, as well as new floor joists and underlayment. The kitchen appliances are new 1940's style GE brand. The house received a fresh coat of paint in July of 2018. Note: the old yellow color was not original to the house - it was painted that color in the 1970's. We painted it a heritage cream color with white trim, which is close to the original colors. This is a classic example of a working class Craftsman Bungalow.


The work so far has taken 2 1/2 years to complete. Our next steps are to install a new roof, remove dangerous trees, install fences, sidewalks, new imprinted paver bricks, and install new landscaping to enhance the home. 


For the decor we have placed period antique furniture throughout, as well as period light fixtures in order to provide visitors with an idea of what life was like in the early 1910's. An ornate antique wood stove is placed where the original wood stove was located next to the chimney behind the wall. Note that gas was likely used for lighting originally, but we opted for safer electric lighting.



​

The Ginger House Museum is closed until further notice

.